Wednesday, March 10, 2010

LS 5603 Book Review: IT'S RAINING LAUGHTER

Poetry
Bibliography
Grimes, Nikki. 1997. IT'S RAINING LAUGHTER. Photography by Myles C. Pinkney. New York, NY: Dial Books for Young Readers. ISBN 0-08037-2003-3.

Plot Summary
These poems tell all about how each child is special, starting with a poem called It's Raining Laughter and the book ends with three words, "I am joy". These poems explore various aspects of self: looks, hobbies, names, memories, and family. The poems conclude that everyone is "a work of art now, obviously."

Critical Analysis
The author has an excellent grasp of all the tools of her trade, she uses rhythm, sound and emotion very successfully. Grimes' language draws the reader in, the reader wants to be the one who the poem is about. Since this is poetry, each reader can be "a goofy giggler, a sadness chaser, a good-mood maker." Grimes also uses very vivid language to give us a picture, "We got drenched-in-honey-butter names". Each poem has it's own unique rhythm suited to that poem, some poems bounce along quickly and others meander along letting us savor each image.

The use of photographs in this book takes away from the poetry. With poetry especially, each reader needs to take an imaginational leap to see where the poem will take them. The use of photographs cements the reader into one reality of the poem. One of Grimes' poems talks about the importance of each reader being able to see themselves in the poem, "I find a paradise where birds can talk, where children fly and trees prefer to walk.... I recognize the brownskin girl I meet...I smile because I see me in her eyes." Photographs take away from the experience, if you have artwork with the poem you can meld the picture to meet your imagination but, a photo stays static.

Review Excerpts
From SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL: "Twelve joyous poems about growing up are filled with music, laughter, and love."

From BOOKLIST: "This is a book that reflects the experiences of African American children today."

Connections
*
Have children write a poem about something that makes them proud.
*Have children create artwork to compliment one of the poems.
*Other poetry books by Nikki Grimes:
A POCKETFUL OF POEMS. ISBN
978-0395938683
THANKS A MILLION. ISBN 978-0688172923

No comments:

Post a Comment